When you protect your skin, you’re protecting your overall health! As warmer weather approaches, it’s more important than ever to protect your skin from the intensity of the sun. Discover our tips + tricks on how to best protect your skin from sun damage!
Make SPF your BFF!
Sunscreen is your skin’s best friend! Avoiding using sunscreen can lead to negative long-term effects including aging prematurely, skin discoloration, and an increased risk of developing skin cancer. Check out our recommendations on how to best make applying sunscreen a priority, and additional ways to shield your skin from the sun:
- Use sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy
- Be cautious if you are taking medications that make you sensitive to the sun
- Don’t forget to protect your lips - Your lips are just as susceptible to sun damage as the rest of your skin, so be sure to apply a lip balm or Chapstick that contains SPF on a regular basis. Make sure to also reapply these products after swimming or sweating.
What are the benefits of sunscreen?
Don’t let the sun have its way with you! While it can be convincing to avoid sunscreen for that nice, summer tan - we can promise it is not worth it in the long run! When you consistently wear sunscreen, your skin is thanking you! There are a variety of benefits in applying sunscreen including:
- Reduce the signs of aging - Wearing sunscreen protects your skin from developing signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines, sunspots, hyperpigmentation, photodamage, and dry skin.
- Reduce risk of skin cancer - Lighter skin tones are at higher risk of developing skin cancer down the road from a lack of skin protection, however, all tones are at risk when not making sun protection a priority.
- Limit the appearance of sunspots - Being exposed to the sun’s UV rays can also cause sunspots, also known as “age spots.” Sunspots are caused by hyperpigmentation of the skin and are typically flat areas of discolored skin that can be different shades of brown in the areas of the face, shoulders, arms, back + back of the hands.
What are The Best Ways to Prevent Sun Damage?
Healthy skin is always in! Did you know…your skin is the largest organ in your body and plays an integral role in maintaining your health! The skin forms a protective barrier between the external environment and the internal organs.
- Drink lots of water - Drinking water consistently can help the skin heal faster by hydrating it and bringing it back to its original state
- Think about your outfit - When headed to the beach, or even simply running errands, be aware of how you’re dressed to avoid significant sun exposure. Wear a hat or sunglasses to best protect your face!
- Pay attention to the UV rays - If you’re planning to spend a day outside, look beforehand at the UV rays to make sure you’re not exposed heavily when the sun is at its strongest. The sun’s rays are typically the strongest from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Get spray tans instead of exposing your skin too much to the sun - Still looking to have that tan, youthful glow? There are so many other ways to get this and direct exposure to the sun will only make your skin worse!
How Can You Restore Sun-Damaged Skin?
- Moisturize Daily - If it isn’t an essential part of your skincare routine know, this is your sign to make moisturizing a priority! Moisturizing every day not only reduces the chance of extreme dryness or oiliness, but it plays a significant role in slowing down the signs of aging!
- Laser treatment - laser treatment that delivers energy to the deeper layers of your skin, stimulating the production of collagen to restore your skin’s strength and tone.
- Chemical peel - The chemicals in your peel act as an exfoliator, sloughing off the top layers of your skin and revealing the younger, healthier skin underneath. The team at D’Allure Medspa uses peels to treat several skin concerns, including lines and wrinkles, discoloration and age spots + more.
- Sunscreen - At the end of the day, sunscreen is one of the most simple, yet significant ways to keep your skin at its best! Specific sunscreen brands work differently with everyone’s skin, but our D’Allure holy grail sunscreen is the Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense